🇺🇾 Nuevo Berlín (New Berlin) is a town in the Río Negro Department of western Uruguay. It is located on the east bank of Uruguay River 7 km (4.3 mi) north-west of the junction of Route 24 with Route 20. South of the town flows the stream Arroyo de la Yeguada and to its west, in the Uruguay River, is the island Isla del Burro. Its distance from the capital of the department Fray Bentos is 42 km (26 mi) via Route 42 and Route 2. In the 19th century, some German settlements were created next to the river, mostly composed of farmers. The brothers Richard and Karl Wendelstandt migrated from Germany around 1850 and bought the farm "El Curupí" in the Department of Soriano. Some years later, they bought properties in Paysandú which they renamed as Nueva Melhem (New Melhem). This new farm, with some 27,000 hectares was surrounded by 32 "positions", 31 of which were occupied by other German families.
Meanwhile, the Wendelstandt family in Germany decided to invest in their relatives' properties in Uruguay. With these investments, the surroundings of farm "Nueva Melhem" became the village Nuevo Berlín around 1865–1868, with the approval of the brothers Wendelstandt, who requested Mr. Fridolin Quincke to design it. The task was finished by the end of 1874.
In 1875, it was declared a "Pueblo" (village) and in 1974 its status was elevated to "Villa" (town).
Nuevo Berlín has a population of over 2,450 people. Nuevo Berlín also forms part of the wider Río Negro Department which has a population of over 54,765 people. Nuevo Berlín is situated 31 km north of Mercedes.