🇲🇽 Tepatitlán de Morelos is a city and municipality founded in 1530, in the central Mexican state of Jalisco. It is located in the area known as Los Altos de Jalisco (the 'Highlands of Jalisco'), about 70 km east of state capital Guadalajara. It is part of the macroregion of the Bajío. Its surrounding municipality of the same name had an area of 1,532.78 km² (591.81 sq mi). Its most distinctive feature is the Baroque-style parish church in the centre of the city dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi. Other notable sites include the kiosk that sits on the Plaza de Armas in downtown (ornamented with iron, it was built in France, and brought to the city), the Temple of San Antonio, and the city hall (Palacio Municipal). The latter is one of the most distinctive features in the city, built in neoclassic-baroque style.
The nickname of the city is "Tepa". It is also the largest producer of eggs in Mexico, the largest pork producer in the state, and the primary milk basin in the country, as well as a large producer of tequila. The fleur-de-lys can be seen in a number of public spaces and buildings, including the Santuario de Guadalupe and the Santuario del Señor de la Misericordia, which houses an oak-carved crucifix that, according to the legend, was found by a poor farmer on the Cerro Gordo in 1835; every year from 25 to 30 April, the city hosts the Feria Tepabril which celebrates the Señor de la Misericordia.
Architecture: Parroquia de San Francisco de Asís The Parroquia de San Francisco de Asís is neoclassic in style, with baroque reminiscence. This temple was built from 1742 to 1775, from piedra braza. It is topped with two slender neoclassical towers, 63m in height each, and three airy domes, all designed by the tepatitlense mason, Don Martín Pozos. The façade is dominated by a curious architectural element: a semi-hexagonal pórtico, which was added as a support for the heavy and slender towers which, as Pozos was told, would collapse if he did not add support. On the inside, it is decorated by the main altar, constructed entirely of white marble from Carrara, and the sculptures of the four Evangelists, sculpted by the Italian architect Augusto C. Volpi, whose depiction of St. John is very detailed. Another example of the local craftsmanship is the sculptural group of La Piedad, carved in oak wood by Agustín Espinoza. Another feature of this church is its clock, located on the south tower, facing the Plaza de Armas, which has been giving the time to the residents 141 years non-stop.
Architecture: Other The Santuario del Señor de la Misericordia, the temple of San Antonio, with a great history during the second Cristero War, the building that houses the City Museum, and various constructions of the 19th century, are many other attractive sites in the city which are worth a visit.
Architecture: Presidencia Municipal It was in 1727, that the older "town hall" was expanded with the terrain donated by Mrs. Elena de la Rua, and after it started functioning as city hall, it was completely remodeled from 1905 to 1908 under the direction of Don Francisco de Paula Palomar, who designed it with a near-neoclassic style, mixed with French Baroque in its decor; and in 1954, it was added to the design its current aspect, so jolly, and unique in the western Mexico. Of neoclassic style, the City Hall is a two-story building that holds on the walls of the staircase, a mural of the history of the city, measuring 80m².
History The area was primitively inhabited by the Otomi people, a hunter-gatherer society. After that, the Tecuexe arrived in the area, also known as the tecuanni, which means cruel or sanguinary, as a reference to their fighting nature. The city had various locations across time: the first, known as Pueblo Viejo in the Raumalelí hill; afterward, they moved to the Cerrito de la Cruz, which today is home to a hilltop chapel, and finally, under the leadership of Mapelo, to its current location. In the year of 1530, the Spanish captain Pedro Almíndez Chirinos arrived at the area, sent by Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán to explore the region up to the state of Zacatecas, and so he arrived in Zapotlán del Rey, Acatic, Zapotlán el Grande, and Tepatitlán, ending up in the Cerro Gordo. Around the same time Almíndez Chirinos arrived, a group of Franciscan Friars Christened the area, built the first church by the name of San Francisco de Asís, and evangelized the natives. Because of this settlement, the village took the name of San Francisco de Tecpatitlán (The ancient way of spelling the city's name). During the Mexican War of Independence, the village's population, composed and dominated by some Creoles and Mestizos, showed itself to be indecisive about joining the war effort, but after Independence Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla entered triumphantly in Guadalajara, the indifference turned into enthusiasm for the cause. One Tepatitlense, Col. Albino Barajas took part as an insurgent in the Battle of Calderón Bridge. By decree of 27 March 1824, Tepatitlán turned into one of the 26 departments into which the state of Jalisco was divided, and was conceded the title of villa. From that same year, it became part of the Third Canton, seated in La Barca, a situation in which it remained until the early 20th Century, when the state's territorial division in cantons disappeared. During the regime of the Second Mexican Empire under Maximilian I of Mexico, according to the provincial statute of 10 April 1862, Tepatitlán, together with most other villages in the Los Altos region, became part of the Department of Aguascalientes. By decree number 41, published 20 September 1883, the town was conceded the title of city, with the denomination Tepatitlán de Morelos in honor of the Revolutionary insurgent José María Morelos y Pavón.
History: Timeline • 1530: Led by Captain Pedro Almíndez Chirinos, a group of Spanish men arrive at the area previously inhabited by Otomí Indians • 1742: Construction of the San Francisco Parish is begun in the middle of a settlement • 1811: On 19 April, the peoples of the city endorse Rev. Ramos, who besieged the city of Tepatilán, fighting fiercely for eight consecutive hours against the so-called "Faithful Royalists" after which he took the Plaza de Armas, which was named de Armas (of Arms) after this incident • 1824: On 27 March, the state grants Tepatitlán the title of "Villa" (town) • 1835: Don Pedro Medina finds the miraculous image of the Señor de la Misericordia • 1864: On the first of January, Tepatitlán was invaded by the French troops of Zuavos Argelinos (from North Africa) who were led by General François Achille Bazaine, and destroyed part of the Municipal Archive. Afterward, various groups, led by the French Commanders Munier and Ceynet, fought fiercely against the guerrillas, who led by Rafael "El Chivo" Nuñez, Mauro Vázquez, Lucio Benavides, Félix Pérez, Francisco Cabrera, and other leaders, fought for liberty from the French rule; especially Colonel José Antonio Rojas, who at the head of his 1,000 "Rojeño" riders took in one month four important plazas (quite apart from each other): Zacatecas, Aguascalientes, Ciudad Guzmán and Tepic • 1883: On 20 September, decree no. 41 was published, whereby the "Villa" of Tepatitlán de Morelos was declared a city by the Governor of Jalisco • 1927–1929: Tepatitlán was witness and actor in the battles between Cristeros and Federals during the Cristero War; within its urban perimeter, the bloodiest battle of the whole war was fought, and on that sole day, the federal army lost more than 3,000 troops.
Fauna and flora Similar to other parts of México, mammals found in the region include species such as the badger, cacomistle, coatimundi, coyote, hare, gray fox, opossum, peccary, rabbit, raccoon, red brocket deer, spotted and striped skunk, squirrels, and white-tailed deer. Elusive, and present in smaller numbers, are the wild felines, the bobcat, jaguar, jaguarundi, ocelot, and puma (mountain lion or cougar). Many birds are common or migrate to the area, including caracara, crows, doves, eagles, egrets, falcons, grouse, guan, hawks, jays, owls, ravens, vultures, wild turkey, as well as numerous hummingbirds, passerine species, pigeons, starlings and songbirds. Many northerly species of birds migrate to the area, annually, during winter. Reptiles and amphibians include both venomous and harmless snakes, lizards such as alligator, beaded, and fence lizards, skinks, hognose snakes, milk snakes, kingsnakes, and rattlesnakes. The common Mexican tree frog (Smilisca baudinii) can be seen and heard on warm nights. Monarch butterflies can be observed in the region during (or upon completion of) their great migration to México from the USA and southern Canada. Tarantulas and several arachnids are endemic to the area.
Among the varied flora are many succulents and trees, such as agave, avocado, conifers, echeveria, and many cactus (especially opuntia) species. Ash trees grow in abundance, as opposed to the once-plentiful oak groves; demand for firewood has depleted their previously vast numbers. Also seen growing are introduced species, including several types of acacia, eucalyptus, pineapple guava, pomegranate, and walnut trees. Herbs and perennials include epazote, hoja santa, Mexican fleabane, tithonia, and wild chives, as well as fennel, licorice (anise), and Cuban oregano (also called Mexican mint). It is a paradise for citrus.
It was announced, in 2009, that the Federal Government would spend around 350 million pesos on the construction of the Centro Nacional de Recursos Genéticos, which is a part of an ecological preserve.
Administrative divisions The municipality of Tepatitlán de Morelos is divided into 7 subdivisions: 6 Delegaciónes (delegations) and a Municipal Seat: Capilla de Guadalupe; Capilla de Milpillas; Mezcala de los Romero; Pegueros; San José de Gracia; Tecomatlán.
Education As well as one of the most important cities in the state, it is one of the most educated, with a literacy rate that exceeds 97%. The city is home to the public university "Centro Universitario de los Altos" (CUAltos), a regional branch of the University of Guadalajara, opened in 1994. The campus offers 15 undergraduate degrees, including business administration, law (LLB), international business, accounting, livestock engineering systems, computer engineering, agribusiness, medicine, nursing, nursing in nutrition, dentistry, psychology and veterinary medicine, as well as a master's degree in animal nutrition.
There is another public university with a focus on technology, "Tecnológico Mario Molina" and private universitites like Universidad América Latina, Universidad Nueva Ciencia, Universidad Solidaria de los Altos de Jalisco (USAJ), Universidad de las Culturas and Universidad Interamericana para el Desarrollo.
The city also has 213 basic education schools, 35 secondary schools, and 13 "high schools.
Tepatitlán de Morelos has a population of over 104,377 people. Tepatitlán de Morelos also forms the centre of the wider Los Altos de Jalisco Region which has a population of over 925,648 people. It is also a part of the larger Jalisco State.
Twin Towns - Sister Cities Tepatitlán de Morelos has links with:🇲🇽 Guanajuato City, Mexico 🇺🇸 Laredo, USA 🇺🇸 Madison, USA
Locations Near: Tepatitlán de Morelos -102.75,20.8
Antipodal to: Tepatitlán de Morelos 77.25,-20.8