🇮🇹 Priverno is a town, comune and former Latin Catholic bishopric in the province of Latina, Lazio, central Italy. It was called Piperno until 1927. It has a station of the Rome-Naples railway mainline. Nearby is the Monti Lepini chain. It was the birthplace of the canonist Reginald of Piperno. Privernum is described by Livy as a flourishing Volscian site, which was conquered and destroyed by the Romans in the late 4th century BC. The Appian Way passed nearby. The town recovered under the Roman rule, but disappeared after the fall of the Western Roman Empire, probably destroyed by Saracen attacks.
It was later a minor centre of the Papal States, to which it belonged until the capture of Rome in 1870.
Priverno has a population of over 14,437 people. Priverno also forms part of the wider Latina province which has a population of over 561,189 people. Priverno is situated 23 km east of Latina.