Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire, England, Great Britain

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Poulton-le-Fylde commonly shortened to Poulton, is a market town in Lancashire, England, situated on the coastal plain called the Fylde. There is evidence of human habitation in the area from 12,000 years ago and several archaeological finds from Roman settlement in England have been found in the area. At the time of the Norman conquest, Poulton was a small agricultural settlement in the hundred of Amounderness. The church of St Chad was recorded in 1094 when it was endowed to Lancaster Priory. By the post-Medieval period the town had become an important commercial centre for the region with weekly and triannual markets. Goods were imported and exported through two harbours on the River Wyre. In 1837, the town was described as the "metropolis of the Fylde", but its commercial importance waned from the mid-19th century with the development of the nearby coastal towns of Fleetwood and Blackpool.

Poulton has the administrative centre of the borough of Wyre and is in the parliamentary constituency of Wyre and Preston North. It is part of the Blackpool Urban Area and approximately 5 miles (8 km) from Blackpool town centre; there are rail links to Blackpool and Preston, and bus routes to the larger towns and villages of the Fylde. Poulton has a library and two secondary schools; Baines School and Hodgson Academy. There is a farmers' market once a month and since October 2011 there has been a weekly market on Mondays in the centre of the town.

Europe/London/Lancashire 

Poulton-le-Fylde has a population of over 18,264 people. Poulton-le-Fylde also forms part of the wider Blackpool metropolitan area which has a population of over 304,000 people.

Text Atribution: Wikipedia Text under CC-BY-SA license