Palmyra, Homs Governorate, Syria

🇸🇾 Palmyra is a city in central Syria, administratively part of the Homs Governorate. It is located in an oasis in the middle of the Syrian Desert 215 km (134 mi) north-east of Damascus and 180 km (110 miles) south-west of the Euphrates River. The ruins of ancient Palmyra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, are situated about 500 metres (1⁄3 mile) south-west of the modern city centre. Relatively isolated, the nearest localities include Arak to the east, Al-Sukhnah further to the north-east, Tiyas to the west and al-Qaryatayn to the south-west.

Palmyra is the administrative centre of the Tadmur District and the Tadmur Subdistrict. Tadmur's inhabitants were recorded to be Sunni Muslims in 1838. During the Syrian Civil War, the city's population significantly increased due to the influx of internally displaced refugees from other parts of the country.

Palmyra is also an ancient Semitic city in present-day Tadmur District, Homs Governorate, Syria. Archaeological finds date back to the Neolithic period, and documents first mention the city in the early second millennium BC. Palmyra changed hands on a number of occasions between different empires before becoming a subject of the Roman Empire in the first century AD.

Asia/Damascus/Homs_Governorate 
<b>Asia/Damascus/Homs_Governorate</b>
Image: Dosseman Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0

Palmyra has a population of over 51,323 people. Palmyra also forms part of the wider Tadmur District which has a population of over 76,942 people. Palmyra is situated 71 km east of Homs.

Text Atribution: Wikipedia Text under CC-BY-SA license

Option 1