🇱🇰 Matara is a major city in Sri Lanka, on the southern coast of Southern Province. It is the second largest city in Southern Province. It is 160 km from Colombo. It is a major commercial hub, and it is the administrative capital and largest city of Matara District.
Rail The Matara railway station, is the terminus of Sri Lanka Railways' Coastal Line, though an extension to Kataragama is planned.
Road Matara is a major transport hub in the country. It is served by the A2 highway, which runs through the city. It is also the southern terminus of stage 2 of the southern expressway E01 expressway (Sri Lanka) since March 2014.
Universities • University of Ruhuna • Open University of Sri Lanka (regional centre) • Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (regional centre) • University College of Matara.
Tourist Industry Matara is a busy, booming and sprawling commercial town that owes almost nothing to tourism – which can make it a fascinating window on modern Sri Lankan life. Matara's main attractions are its ramparts, Dutch architecture, a well-preserved fort and its street life.
• Parey Dewa (Rock in Water) or Paravi Dupatha temple is a relatively modern Buddhist temple on Pigeon Island (a small offshore island) in front of the city. It is reached by an elegant cable-stayed footbridge, which was erected in 2008 (replacing an earlier bridge, which was washed away in the 2004 tsunami). The temple is set in attractive gardens and houses numerous statues of Buddha and a replica of the alleged footprint found on Adam's Peak.
• Weragampita Rajamaha Viharaya Temple
• Matara Bodhiya, a Buddhist temple, which is the site of a sacred fig tree.
• Matara fort/ramparts: The Matara fort was built in 1560 by the Portuguese and was substantially re-built by the Dutch in 1640, following the capture of Galle. The fort, which consists of a large stone rampart, occupies the promontory, which separates the Niwala River lagoon and the ocean.
• Dutch Reformed Church, Matara was constructed within Matara fort by the Dutch in 1706. It was extensively remodeled in 1767, following the recapture of the fort in 1762.
• Star Fort is on the western or landward side of the Nawali River. The fort was constructed by the Dutch following the Matara rebellion in 1761, to protect the main fort from attacks originating from the river. Construction of the unique star-shaped fort was completed in 1765.
• Old Nupe Market was constructed in 1784 by the Dutch, about 3.2 km (2.0 mi) from Matara fort.
• St Mary's Church is on Beach Road. The date on the doorway (1769) refers to the reconstruction following the 1762 Matara Rebellion.
Matara was ranked #392 by the Nomad List which evaluates and ranks remote work hubs by cost, internet, fun and safety. Matara has a population of over 74,190 people. Matara also forms the centre of the wider Matara District which has a population of over 809,344 people.
To set up a UBI Lab for Matara see: https://www.ubilabnetwork.org Twitter: https://twitter.com/UBILabNetwork
🇲🇾 Kota Kinabalu 5.956
🇪🇹 Arba Minch 5.965
🇳🇬 Afikpo South 5.967
🇲🇾 Kubang Kerian 6.083
🇲🇾 Alor Setar 5.924
🇸🇷 Paramaribo 5.826
🇲🇾 Sungai Petani 5.641
🇮🇳 Mangalagiri 80.565
🇮🇳 Vijayawada 80.656
🇱🇰 Nuwara Eliya 80.783
🇱🇰 Polonnaruwa 81.008
🇮🇳 Machilipatnam 81.13
Locations Near: Matara 80.5354,5.94931
🇱🇰 Ratnapura 80.386,6.693 d: 84.3
🇱🇰 Kalutara 79.965,6.579 d: 94.3
🇱🇰 Panadura 79.902,6.715 d: 110.3
🇱🇰 Homagama 80.003,6.843 d: 115.5
🇱🇰 Nuwara Eliya 80.783,6.971 d: 116.8
🇱🇰 Moratuwa 79.867,6.783 d: 118.6
🇱🇰 Colombo 79.863,6.915 d: 130.6
🇱🇰 Wattala 79.885,6.976 d: 134.9
Antipodal to: Matara -99.465,-5.949
🇺🇸 Sterling Heights -83.001,2.544 d: 17957.3
🇪🇨 Salinas -80.968,-2.207 d: 17922.2
🇪🇨 La Libertad -80.9,-2.233 d: 17915.4
🇪🇨 Santa Elena -80.858,-2.227 d: 17910.7
🇵🇪 Chiclayo -79.844,-6.764 d: 17845.1
🇪🇨 Machala -79.967,-3.267 d: 17833.8
🇪🇨 Daule -79.98,-1.864 d: 17806.9
🇪🇨 Guayaquil -79.901,-2.166 d: 17805.2
🇪🇨 Durán -79.817,-2.167 d: 17796
🇪🇨 San Francisco de Milagro -79.594,-2.129 d: 17770.9