Jacmel, Sud-Est Department, Haiti

🇭🇹 Jacmel (French pronunciation:  [ʒakmɛl]; Haitian Creole: Jakmèl) is a commune in southern Haiti founded by the Spanish in 1504 and repopulated by the French in 1698. It is the capital of the department of Sud-Est, 24 miles (39 km) south-west of Port-au-Prince across the Tiburon Peninsula. The town's name is derived from its indigenous Taíno name of Yaquimel. In 1925, Jacmel was dubbed as the "City of Light," becoming the first in the Caribbean to have electricity.

The city is known for its well-preserved French Colonial architecture built in the early 19th century. The town has been tentatively accepted as a World Heritage Site.

Port-au-Prince Time 

Jacmel has a population of over 40,000 people. Jacmel also forms the centre of the wider Jacmel metropolitan area which has a population of over 137,966 people. Jacmel is situated 39 km south-west of Port-au-Prince.

Twin Towns – Sister Cities Sister cities include: 🇺🇸 Gainesville, Florida, United States

Co-operation Jacmel has cooperative agreements with: 🇫🇷 Strasbourg, France.

Text Atribution: Wikipedia Text under CC-BY-SA license