Gulshan is an affluent and the wealthiest neighbourhood in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. A residential area, Gulshan is now home to a number of the city's restaurants, shopping centres, schools and members' clubs. The neighbourhood also hosts the majority of embassies and high commissions in Dhaka.Gulshan was founded as a planned model town in 1961 with its own Pourashabha (municipal corporation), while the neighbouring Banani Model Town was founded in 1964.
Many local and multinational companies have their local headquarters located in Gulshan, including Nokia, Grameenphone, Banglalink, Augere, Standard Chartered Bank, P&G, GSK, Reckitt Benckiser, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., The Himalaya Drug Company, Siemens, Nokia Siemens Networks, Sony Ericsson, Ericsson, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Company and Microsoft.
There are some 45 boutiques, markets, bazaars and shopping centres in Gulshan. There also are mega-stores such as Nandan, Agora, Aarong, Unimart, Meena Baazar and Lavender. There are also many shopping mall like Shopper's World, Pink City and the ABC Shopping Complex. A plethora of food, bank and fashion outlets are located all over the area.
The area hosts a number of private clubs. While the Gulshan Club and International Club have their own policies, most of the rest are sponsored by the various diplomatic missions. These include the American Recreation Association (American Club), the Canadian Club, the Dutch Club, the Australian Club (membership also available to New Zealanders), the Nordic Club (membership available to citizens of Scandinavian countries) and the German Club (membership available to EU citizens). The BAGHA (British Aid Guest House Association) Club falls under the British High Commission umbrella and also accepts membership from EU citizens. While it is not a club as such, the quarters of the American Embassy's Marine Guard unit maintains a small private bar. There is a 250-room five star hotel, Westin, located at circle-2.
The headquarters of icddr,b is in Mahakhali. Gulshan Mother and Child Clinic (Gulshan Maa O Shishu Clinic), Gulshan Group Clinic, Retina and Eye Center, DNS Diagnostics and Telemedicine, Sikder's Women's Hospital, Ear Care Center, and Balaka Pharmacy are in Gulshan Model Town. The Dental Studio, Sarah Dental Clinic, and Johnson's Dental Clinic are in Banani Model Town. The Apollo Hospital is in Bashundhara. There also Japan Bangladesh Friendship Hospital in Gulshan, Aysha Memorial Specialized Hospital and LifeLine in Mohakhali, and Nova Medical Center, Peerless Diagnostic & Treatment Centre and Prince Medical Center in Banani. There also Midway Clinic, Adventist Dental Clinic, Modern Clinic & Blood Center and Shifa Pharmacy in Gulshan, Christian Medical Hospital in Baridhara, and Metropolitan Medical Center and Marie Stopes Clinic in Mohakhali.
Diplomatic missions include: Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
• Australian High Commission
• Embassy of the Kingdom of Belgium
• Royal Bhutanese Embassy
• Canadian High Commission
• Embassy of the People's Republic of China
• Royal Danish Embassy
• Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt
• Embassy of the Republic of France
• Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
• Embassy of the Republic of Hungary
• Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
• Embassy of the Republic of Italy
• Embassy of the State of Kuwait
• The People's Bureau of the Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
• Malaysian High Commission
• Embassy of the Union of Myanmar
• Royal Netherlands Embassy
• Royal Norwegian Embassy
• High Commission for the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
• Embassy of the State of Palestine
• Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines • Embassy of the Republic of Poland • Embassy of the State of Qatar • Embassy of the Russian Federation • Embassy of Romania • Embassy of Saudi Arabia ◦ Office of the Saudi Military Attache ◦ Dawa Office, The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia • Consulate of the Republic of Singapore • Embassy of the Kingdom of Spain • The High Commission of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka • Embassy of Sweden • Royal Thai Embassy • Embassy of the Republic of Turkey • Embassy of the United Arab Emirates • British High Commission • Embassy of the United States of America • Consular Agency of the Republic of Uzbekistan • Delegation of the European Commission
Gulshan has a population of over 281,337 people. Gulshan also forms part of the Greater Dhaka metropolitan area which has a population of over 21,741,000 people.